Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Glass Smart Lab

I have begun to rebuild what I had 23 years ago. Downstairs around my pellet stove. I had every acid, alkalies, solvents, superabrasive powders, many commercial products, and glass taken from buildings around the country. I even had glass taken from the World Trade Center before it was destroyed. Hundreds of glass squares were wasted and taken to the dump. This was where I learned everything I know. There and in the field. If you are just experimenting in the field you are limited. Cuz you can’t waste the glass. Simple. But if you buy a small mirror plate for five bux you can do anything you want to it. This is advanced testing. Marc Tanner started doing this kind of testing years ago. He works with Starfire glass. I prefer mirrors. Just personal choice. I will never forget meeting this man down in PA once. He was also testing this way. It was through him that I learned how HF causes orange peal and banding. Stage two dynamic surface etching. I get excited as I write this. Real excited. Those were the days. The early IWCA conventions. My affiliation with the big names in our industry. Never would change any of it. Now I am back working with manufacturers. The lab is going back up. Already I am learning things I didn’t know. Such as how to create glass surfaces that scratch with incredible ease. And use these surfaces to test various commercial coatings for scratch resistance. Which is the subject of the April issue of my final newsletter series, “The Glass Smart Mirror”. The lab will be where I do most of my videography. I am working on a video series called, “Breaking Glass”. My focus will be the Glass Smart Mirror. This is going to be the ONLY way that I will make any money from all of this.  It will be sent and billed by email using PayPal. Journalism has always been my greatest love along with doing the research and making new friends.

So come go with me friends!

Written by Henry Grover Jr.
henrygroverjr@gmail.com

To receive these posts in your inbox just type your address in the box at the top right, "Follow by Email".

No comments: