Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2019

Protecting Pilkingtons Energy Advantage Hard Coat

Energy Advantage is a tin oxide low e hardcoat which on occasion is used as a first surface weather side product.  Whether it is the weather side of an insulating glass unit, or a monolythic plate, it is exposed to contact.  This means that any type of construction debris can get on it.  The problem then becomes one of safely removing the debris.  Since we cannot use razor blades or in my opinion not even steel or brass wool, there is a serious problem of exactly what to use to clear/clean such a low e surface.  So I am currently developing products which can be safely used.  But another solution is to use some type of strippable safety film that can be applied when the window is clean.  Then stripped off afterward once the window collects paint, stain, silicone caulk;...or whatever.  I have discovered a product called Windocoat which works very good on glass.  But did not know whether it would also easily strip off a Pilkington Low e tin oxide hard coat.  Of course there is only one way to know.  That is to do the test.  So I did.  Here is the video I did of the test which I just published a couple days ago on the Glass Smart YouTube Product Development Channel.  Let me first say however that I always suggest doing a "patch test" with this product on any surface before painting an entire building with it.  Never leave it in doubt.  General Chem the sales company, have told me that they didn't know if it would stick to a low e surface or not.  Well check out the video and tell me what you think.  There will be many more short videos to follow.  So please go to this YouTube Channel and subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHbWaP101c




Written by Henry Grover Jr
henrygroverjr@gmail.com

To receive these blogs in your inbox as they are written just type your address in the box at the top right "Follow by Email".

No comments: