Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2019

The High Shine Slip

If you cannot view this video on your phone or other device just go straight to the Glass Smart Product Development YouTube Channel at;...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKzhmAWtlsHJiwRd6WrgGyA

That was an old woman at the laundromat that I had take the video for me by the way.  You can see her over to the right just a little.  I will use anyone that is or isn't agreeable.

On these demo videos I will be breaking glass in many different ways.  Just thought you would like that.  And I have also chosen this name for my videography, "Breaking Glass Productions".  You can rhyme that any way you like.

Anyhow.  I have been talking about this surfactant chemistry for a long time now.  So have decided to simply show you what kind of toys I have been playing with.  In as concise a way as possible.  Of course.  Then get a little technical on the blog.

The name High Shine was chosen to honor Lee Burbidge of the WCM.  He published many high caliber high tech articles in that mag.  High Shine is his company name.  It is interesting that the inorganic chemistry of this product does leave a special shine on the glass.  Which can be one of its downsides since it can streak on very hot glass in the direct sun.  Very hot dark glass too.  Hey I am not a manufacturer.  So I can degrade my own products!  Although this is usually not a problem.  But.  What we are trying to accomplish here is to attain a formula that will give the kind of solution which allows for easy cleaning of phobic surfaces.

The High Shine video begins by demonstrating with pure water exactly how phobic the test window is.  What I do not mention during the video is that I did apply a phobic product (which I will not identify) on the left side about a couple feet in.  This is just to demonstrate that even a surface that phobic can be sheeted and squeegeed with the High Shine.  You can see that the left side is somewhat more phobic than the rest of the glass but the entire surface is in fact quite phobic.  

Now I mentioned that this product is a Slip.  Actually it can be used by itself without any other product.  It can also be used with any other product.  I like to use it with Dawn.  And in this video I am only using a very little bit of Dawn.  That is why the sudz are almost totally just not there.  But we still have adequate glide or slip.

Now you can get sudz with Dawn up until you mix a 50/50 Slip/Dawn.  Then the sudz disappear.  That is because the High Shine is based on a silicone superwetter.  Silicone surfactants are typically sudz killers.  So that is what is happening here.  This is an anionic nonorganic superwetting surface active agent.  Dawn is based on two very common anionic organic surfs.  It is the strange combination of these two surfs that form what appear to be "islands" in the bucket.  The sun was out bright so I got some good pictures of this effect which is in the video.

Currently I am looking for some manufacturers or distributors to start carrying some of these products.  It might even be a window cleaning company that takes it on.  Who knows!  As long as I can get the smallest piece of cheese.  I do know however I can't do it and really don't want to.  My love is and always will be "the toy box".  Just got to have it.  I also love show and tell.  The new tech these days has given me that.  Didn't have it 25 years ago when I started writing for the AWC.  Never could have imagined it either.

I have many other things coming down the tube for you.  The YouTube that is.  Stay tuned to the channel.  And please subscribe.  I get more power that way.

Written by Henry Grover Jr.
henrygroverjr@gmail.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKzhmAWtlsHJiwRd6WrgGyA

To receive these posts in your inbox just type your address in the box at the top right, "Follow by Email".

No comments: